When I realized I am a teacher?


As a citizen of a country where the most ideal profession for a woman is teaching, I have always tried to object to this absurdity. On one side, I remember my rebellions by insisting that "I will never be a teacher", and on the other side, the sarcastic faces that said: "you can't run away from your fate". No matter how hard I tried to escape, fate caught up with me. But I had already proved to those sarcastic faces that a woman can do any job besides teaching.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, I am not sure) the most obstinate “no” can turn into “yes”. And today I just smile to young naïve me who was firm about her “no” … or “no(s)” …

When I started this journey, I did not trust my knowledge, my education, nor my ability to teach. There was only one thing I knew: I will not be one of those teachers who made me hate my university years.

At first it was very hard. I thought there was nothing I could give the students. It seemed to me that I had to have an extraordinary talent, I have to know everything about my field in order to attract the students.

Gradually I understood that I was mistaken. (Here thanks go to my mentor Joshgun Karimov)

I understood that I have a share in every tiny bit of their knowledge. And it is so nice to know that. It's so nice to know that the little things I teach them today will make their lives easier tomorrow.

The feedback I get from students at the end of each semester literally enlightens me. I realized that what is important is not what you teach, but how you teach.

I realized that the way you behave and the way you make them feel is more important. Years later, they will remember the feelings, not the formulas and equations. 

When I heard the sentence from them:  "You have become a friend to us than a teacher", I held my tears back. At that moment realized that I am a teacher.

Being a teacher means smiling faces and eyes that look at you with love when you enter the classroom.

Being a teacher means to touch lives.

Being a teacher means to learn from students.

Being a teacher means to share more than teaching.

Being a teacher means to be the first person that comes to their mind when they need help.

So, here comes belated confession: I am happy that I am a teacher.

P.S. Dear students, I am eager to learn more from you…

Comments

  1. Humay, how beautiful you look as you walk your path,impossible not to be amazed✨

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment